Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gunslinger by Edward Dorn

  • The dismantling of I
    • Break down of cartisan Liveral Human self
    • The group supercedes the Original narration



BOOK ONE
  • I= Humanist Persona
    • Fixated with naming, Describing
    • Naming makes one mortal
  • Text of Lil differentiated by Italics
    • Feminist perspective?
    • to give the sense of conversation versus written?
  • Bullets of Pure information
    • "He's been described"
    • Parellels with the internet and information theory/cyberntics
  • Howard Huges
    • Icon of capatlisim?
    • Icon of the cult of the individual?
    • Buys vegas and moves it, its all in the name
  • Death Versus Mortality
    • Gunslingers discussion on the difference between the two
BOOK II

  • P . 48: "Perfection Can't be Known"
    • Argument agianst idealized wholisim
    • Oddly no bracket between c and T here
  • P. 49: "Roots of the soul loosend and grow past the hardness of the future
  • P. 51: Victory i found in opposites = The diversity of cyborg manifesto?
  • p 56-57 : "I is dead"
    • "I ain't Dead"
    • I as Ego, argument about its death versus transmutation
    • Necessity of death in this argument
    • Necessity of drugs in this process
  • P66. Becoming- The pure form of becoming
    • OrganIzation
  • P 69 "His Name is Missing! He must be a monster
    • Decleration by the mob/masses
    • monster =frankentstien? Cyborg?
  • P 70: Identification -Word for Fear
    • "So it is echoed everything" -play on sentence structure
    • truth or consequences "They ordered truth and got the consequences" (awesome line)
    • MOVIES metaphor
  • P 73 OWNER in all caps
  • p74 Guns and bullets intwined with speech, speech as weapon, as mechnization of war?
  • P 75 Movies- Revolutionary type mdedium, medium of revolutionaries
  • p 76- 35 MM film & .44 bullets
    • A Whole new literature that was already there
  • P 79 Universities as natural centers of double talk: Dorn in university setting himself

THE CYCLE

  • P 89- (I)solation versus norm of ????
    • Poem about howard hughes (kneelex boxes on his feet)
    • Performative aspects of a poet performing a poem in a poem
  • Line 49 Emit Time (that thing thats the same when its reversed..palindrome?)
  • 100-16 Eye of the U, I of the You
  • 101-24 (I)maginative oragan as the eye
  • 102 THE ID, Identity and subsconcious aspect
    • Atlantes (burroughs fish boy girls?)
    • Typewriters
    • Crosss dressing
    • 9- lunch.....madness...naked lunch?
  • 104- 14 Emit no Time (interesting reversable phrase)
WINTER SONG

  • P 120 Never looked a t the camera -> Power Flexs
  • p135 Turing machine

BOOK IIII

  • Dr. Flamboyent as cyborg
    • Disperate parts that arn't neccesairly in harmonious form
    • slinger verus Zlinger...play on barthes S/Z?
    • Slinger as possible sunshine machine (haraways manifesto

No comments: